D. W. burton took out the patent for this boxed altazimuth dry compass in 1874.
It was used as a plumb, a hand-level, clinometer, sighting compass, prismatic compass and for obtaining horizontal and vertical angles, for preliminary surface surveying, topography, geological field work and reconnaissance.
This replica classic survey compass is a remarkable instrument and tribute to a great engineer. The solid polished gun-metal casing opens to reveal a folding sight, spirit levels and measuring gauges, with a sighting mirror on the inside of the lid. Supplied in an antiqued leather case with stitched seams and brass strap fastening.
8 x 8cm